Eisenhower Foundation Travel Grants
The Eisenhower Foundation Abilene Travel Grants Program assists scholars' research of primary sources in the Eisenhower Presidential Library in such fields as history, government, economics, communications, and international affairs.
Grants are awarded to individual researchers on a competitive basis to cover a portion of expenses while in Abilene, Kansas using the Eisenhower Presidential Library. The size of the grant (not to exceed $1,000) is dependent upon the distance traveled and duration of stay in Abilene. Grants are not retroactive and travel must occur within one year of award.
Applications must be postmarked no later than February 28th for Spring reviews, and September 30th for Fall reviews and may be submitted by regular mail or electronically.
Applicants should provide the following materials to:
Abilene Travel Grants Program
P.O. Box 295
200 SE 4th St.
Abilene, KS 67410
- Completed travel grant application.
- A letter from the Eisenhower Presidential Library providing information on the availability of relevant materials in the Library's archives. Please address your inquiries to: Eisenhower Presidential Library, P.O. Box 339, 200 SE 4th St., Abilene, KS 67410 or email@example.com and request permission to use the holdings of the Library. An archivist at the Library will respond with a letter detailing collections that are pertinent to your research topic.
- A curriculum vitae including academic experience and a list of any publications.
- A detailed summary (not to exceed five pages) of the subject and scope of your research. Funding priority will be given to well-developed proposals that will rely significantly on the resources in the Eisenhower Presidential Library.
- Tentative timetable for visiting Abilene (including duration of stay in Abilene) and for completing project.
- A ten-fifteen page writing sample.
- A proposed budget. For information on lodging, food and travel costs please visit the Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau website.
- Information as to any other grant received or being pursued for the project.
- Two or three supporting letters from academic advisors or professional colleagues.
- Intended publication or other use of the product of your research.
Applicants should direct questions to the Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 785-263-6700.
A selection panel reviews your application package. All applicants will be informed in writing of the selection panel's decision approximately six weeks after the application deadline. The grantee will be presented a check in the amount of the award upon their arrival at the Eisenhower Library to conduct research.
If grantee's research results in a thesis, dissertation, book or article, a copy of the final product should be submitted to the Eisenhower Presidential Library for its holdings.